Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I just recieved a call from a police officer who told me there

I just recieved a call from a police officer who told me there is an arrest warrant for me that was issued when I was in the hospital back in June. I know nothing about this, he wouldn't tell me what is was for, he just told me to go to the police station. Im scared to death, can't afford a lawyer, what do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.

If there is truly a warrant issued for your arrest, then you have two choices. The first is to do as this apparently police officer stated and go to the station and turn yourself in and the other is to not turn yourself in and then be arrested at the convenience of the State either at your home or at work. The best option is usually to turn yourself in. However, normally you wouldn't want to do that without first firing a criminal defense attorney and having them get more information on the pending charge and also advise you about your options and the procedures once you do turn yourself in.

If you will not, or cannot, hire an attorney at this time, then what I can tell you is that when you turn yourself in (assuming that you do) you do not want to make any statements to law enforcement (or anyone else for that matter who isn't your attorney) upon or after your booking about the allegations against you. None. That means no trying to explain your way out of the situation. I cannot stress this enough. If you make a statement, it will be used against you by the State.

You may also want to bring a friend or family member with you in case they will need to arrange bail. There is no way I can guess whether or not this will be a case where they will just book you and release you or whether they will keep you until the court sets bail.

If you ultimately truly cannot afford an attorney, then when you are arraigned you can tell the judge you cannot afford an attorney and they will appoint one to represent you for free.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.