Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

local police in MN raided my home in 2008 on a warrant seeking

Customer Question

local police in MN raided my home in 2008 on a warrant seeking evidence from a 2002 robbery. the warrant sought a homemade replica of a bmb allegedly used in the robbery that my ex husband was said to have committed. he had been incarcerated in federal custody since 2003 and all the statutes of limitations had expired except for a kidnap charge related to the robbery. the excuse they used to obtain the warrant on such stale information was that an accomplice of my ex husband told the police that my ex had boasted that his homemade device was so authentic that he called it a "work of art", so mn said that this device had "lasting value and use and was thus still seizable with a warrant". they did not find any device, they arrested without charge for over half a day in cuffs and in a holding cell (not charged nor processed. released that night). after they failed to find the device, they obtained another warrant 'in situ' and took everything that they found of interest regardless of if it was germane to the case. mn did not officially bring my ex to court until 2010!
do i have any claim of *warrantless arrest, *fruit from the poisonous tree, *acting in bad faith on stale information, or any *civil rights violations which i can sue the county and state over their malfeasance?
i want to sue them for upper six figures if i can. i lost my home because they seized my life savings and i was unable to pay my mortgage. they kept half of the money even though i proved it was unrelated to the roberry nearly eight years earlier.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You have no grounds to sue for anything until the case is completed in court. If they brought the ex to court and a court case is on going, until that criminal case is completed and the court finds the warrant was defective in some manner (stale, illegal search, etc) you have no grounds to sue. Once the court rules in the criminal case, then you would know the rights and how strong of a case you have to bring to court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”