JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I was at my step mothers house and I am 24 my step sister had

I was at my step mothers house and I am 24 my step sister had a friend come over with a bottle of vodka. I took it from her and I started drinking it and told her she couldn't drink it. Some how I ended up getting pass out drunk and she did too. Her mother took us to the hospital and now I am getting charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor. How could I be the one being charged with this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Please clarify: how old is your step-sister?

How old is your step-sister's friend?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is 15 and I don't know how old her friend is I am thinking 15. I know my step mom was in the other room. My step sister was talking to her boyfriend in the closet so I don't know how she got drunk. My step mom was aware of what was going on because she said she was waiting for something like this to happen.
Who was the one that took the girls to the hospital? Your step-mom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my step mom took me and my sister.
Was the other girl (the one who brought the vodka) taken to the hospital by her own mom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she went home
Did your step sister tell your step mom that you were the one who furnished the alcohol?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she told someone I am not sure who. she told me she said it because she was drunk.
If she told your step-home or any nurse or doctor at the hospital that you were the one who supplied the vodka, then that explains why you have been charged. They took her word and ran with it.

So, what do you do? It's a serious crime. Go to court and plead not guilty. Either hire a local criminal defense attorney or ask for a court-appointed attorney if you can't afford one. Demand a jury trial. From the facts you've described, the prosecutor won't be able to prove their case. The prosecutor has the burden of proof. When it comes time for trial, either the prosecutor will dismiss the case or the jury will return a not guilty verdict.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.