JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

i was involved in an accident in nyc and did not stay at the

i was involved in an accident in nyc and did not stay at the scene. there was property damage but the same day i called my insurance and told them everything. my car was later found by the police and towed away. i already talked to the owner of the property damaged but now my car is in police custody. what should i do in a situation like this ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Please clarify: has a warrant been issued for your arrest?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't know yet. But am sure because i did not report the accident to the police when it happened and also they found my car in a parking lot nearby where i left it.
Have you received a ticket yet or any communication from the court/police to turn yourself in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not yet. all this happened on Saturday.
So, am I correct to understand that, at this point, there are no witnesses to your accident? There is no one who can place you at the incident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes but i already talked to the owner of the shop that i crashed into and my insurance is gonna take care of his damage. the problem is the police have my car and i will have to go there to get it. an i believe leaving the scene of an accident is a crime on its own.
Yes, it is a crime.

You also have a constitutional right to remain silent. You do not have to make any statements/confession to the police.

You may find it worthwhile to contact a local criminal defense attorney and hire that person to act on your behalf to secure the return of your car for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So right now the best thing to do is get a lawyer and not to go to the police station having my car.
If you want to avoid the police questioning you about the car damage/accident, then you do not want to have any direct contact with the police. Otherwise, you risk making admissions to the police and your admissions can be used against you in any criminal prosecution.

Right now, from what you've described, the police do not have all the evidence to place you at the crime. They don't have a case.

This is why it would be beneficial to have a third-party (e.g., a lawyer) try to obtain the car.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks alot.