Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I have a sinking feeling that im getting scammed by someone

Customer Question

I have a sinking feeling that i`m getting scammed by someone in England, she claims to have a fund inheritance and that her consultant needs me to send her money $4000 through western union to pay for a legal consultation fee. He needs the money to do paper work and for cab fare and such pretty high for cab fare huh. I have sent her about $1500 and i thought i was pretty smart i need to wake up. if you can help thanks very much
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.

There would really be no way for me to say with certainty whether or not you are being scammed. However, I can say that if you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, then it probably isn't. I will say that if you sit back and really look at how you came across this person, what led up to their asking you for money, what it was allegedly for, and what they have said since you probably have the answer to your question.

I can also say, that as upsetting as it might be for Western Union, anyone that asks for large sums of money via Western Union versus through a bank transfer may be signaling that a scam is being carried out. What you can do is either just say that you have no more money to send her and see how she reacts. If you stop hearing from her or if she keeps putting pressure on you to send money, you then can be certain that his was a fraud.

You can also, if you met this person via the internet file a report with the U.S. Government Agency in charge of investigating cyber crimes, IC3. You can find out more about them at their website, www. They do work with Interpol and other international law enforcement agencies to investigate and attempt to stop cyber criminals.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My problem is the consultant and his fee he gave me a power of attorney document with his law firm and address,He states very clearly that if i do not have the money to send than to not sign the power of attorney and to get hold of the womans next of kin, i have tried to get information from him no phone number,no fax number he wants me to just send the money through western union and he is not forthcoming.

If i stop talking to her and do not send the money....she will get evicted and sending money via western union as opposed to wire transfer is bad anyway correct...i feel the reality sinking in damn this sucks and at christmas time as well.

I guess spending $34 to here the truth is fine i did not want this to be true of her, but when i sent her the plane money she got mugged and was in the hospital( supposedly ) and she wanted me to pay the doctors bill! And i told her to walk out of there so she did and i sent her $300 to help her she was supposedly evicted just days before the mugging i`m trying to listen to my gut but my stupid heart is in the way.

sorry but i will listen to your advice and give us some space and see what happens but i will not hold my breath.
Hello again,

Based on the additional information you have provided, there is no doubt that there is a fraud be perpetuated by someone. What she is telling you about being evicted and being mugged, I am pretty sure is just not honest. All of the information you have provided are typical ploys to lure someone who is open and trusting into a scam.