CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

Hello,I had a second DUI in 2001 in alameda county in california

I had a second DUI in 2001 in alameda county in california but in the same time i had to move back to my country, i left before receiving informations about court date? Today if i want to come back, what are the consequences if any?
thakn you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

The main issue you will have is that a warrant for your arrest, was likely issued, when you failed to appear at the required court date. As such, you may have a problem entering and possible could be taken into custody. Prior to returning, it would be best to contact a criminal defense attorney who can file a motion to lift the warrant and reset the court date. You can then appear and resolve this. The fact that it happened over 10 years ago may help your case, if the officer(s) no longer works for the department and is unable to appear to testify against you. As a result, it could end up getting dismissed.