Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

hello, I recently visited Las Vegas for new year 2012.

hello,

I recently visited Las Vegas for new year 2012. After the new years eve, I was planning to go to my country ( NEPAL).I am international student here in USA. so, I went to Mccaren international Airport to purchase my tickets. I asked the directions for the ticketing center of virgin America. One of the counter clerks of virgin America (it was a baggage claim center) so she told me to go straight forward keep left and there will be the exit and go to next building for international ticketing center. I did as she told me. On the door it was written something like for personal exit only. I opened the door and the alarm alerted all the securities in the airport and they caught me within a seconds and asked for the batch(pass). I told i got no batch on me. the clerk of virgin America told me to exit from this door and enter the international building for ticketing center.I thought she knows everything around over there so I believed her and exited through the door. I gave every information they asked me for. I was very polite and answered all the questions of the police officer in the airport. I have no criminal records before and no trespassing anywhere in the united states since I'm here( 4 years). They gave me the citation and the court date for Feb 13. But, I'm leaving USA on Jan 7. so, they told me to contact the court office and let them know you are leaving before the court date. They might arrange something quick.

I am just worried like how much they are going to charge me for trespassing. I have planned the exact amount of money to spend before leaving USA. I think i cannot pay more than $300. If i do not pay the fine and leave the country, will i get trouble when i land in USA next time I'm here.

please answer as clearly as you can. thank you!

ANISH POKHAREL
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

What is the exact criminal violation that is stated on the citation that you have received?

What is your immigration status in the US?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
criminal violation: Trespassing

My status in USA: F1 visa (student visa)
Unfortunately you have been charged with a misdemeanor crime that is punishable by a imprisonment of up to 6 months and a fine of up to $1,000.

Your situation is even more serious, as if you are found/plead guilty to this crime, it is more than likely that your visa will be revoked and you will not be allowed to legally re-enter the US.

I would strongly suggest that you consult an experienced Nevada criminal attorney, as soon as, possible and this experienced local attorney might be able to either get your case dismissed on some type of legal technicality or valid legal basis, or at least might be able to work our a plea bargain deal, where the prosecutor might agree to dismiss the criminal charges if you agree to pay the fine, thus it would not create criminal record for you and it should not effect your F-1 visa.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you tell me how much does attorney charges to defend me in this case?
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
It is impossible for me to inform you what a local criminal law attorney would charge to represent you in this case, due to the fact that each attorney sets his/hers own fee amount and the fee can vary greatly from one attorney to the other for the very same case.

I would suggest that you use these well established and respected attorney information/referral websites, to find a local criminal attorney in Las Vegas:

www.martindale.com
www.justia.com
www.lexmundi.com
www.lawyers.com

I would suggest that you contact several attorneys and compare them according to their personality, experience and also the amount of fees that they quote you, before choosing one.

I wish you all the best in the New Year.