Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

Hi i was on my way home from a party last night and my car

Customer Question

Hi i was on my way home from a party last night and my car slid into a ditch i did not call the fire department but they showed up i told them there was no injuries and the property owner said there was no damage to his property and shortly after the cops showed up and said they could smell alcohol on my breath i passed all there tests but they said i was going to recieve and underaged drinking citation and lose my licence for 90 days and get a fine i was wondering if i have any grounds for a case to have this over turned.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello there:

I have a few questions. First, how old are you? Second, did you admit to consuming any alcohol last night?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 18 years old. and yes i admited to having 1 drink a few hours before i left.
Here are the facts: you are 18 years of age, you admitted to drinking, you slid off the road, and alcohol could apparently be smelled on you. You passed the sobriety tests which is likely why you were not charged with drunk driving, but law enforcement only needs proof beyond a reasonable doubt to prosecute and convict you, and I see no reason to doubt that you are guilty of underage consumption. If there is no weakness in the case, there is no alternative to conviction. I would just encourage you that there is no reason that this has to derail your life, but it will sting a bit and it is important that you learn from it because the consequences will be more severe if it happens again. It gives me no pleasure to announce this, but please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers and even where I can not get you out of a conviction, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am very dissatisfied with these answers and do not believe in anyway it is worth 38 dollars and i would like a refund
I am sorry that there is no alternative outcome in your situation and it is very unfortunate that law enforcement intervened after you consumed alcohol in violation of your state's laws and decided to get behind the wheel of a vehicle, but you now know what to expect for the remainder of this process and I hope that helps. I do wish you the best of luck in your matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well i still do not believe being told theres no way out is worth 38 dollars and again i would like a refund for this waste of my time.
I am not sure why you believe that you are innocent or why there is any reasonable doubt to your guilt, but in light of your skepticism, I would recommend that you consult in person with a criminal defense attorney to confirm that you do not have any other options. I have nothing more to add, but I again wish you the best of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i want nothing but my money back from this waste.