Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

This is a ridiculous story I am thoroughly embarassed by and

Customer Question

This is a ridiculous story I am thoroughly embarassed by and not sure who to direct it to. Please try not to judge the infantile nature of it. I have spent the last three years in a cycle of abuse with a man who has bipolar disorder and narcissistic personality disorder. These are very hard to deal with and manifest themselves in unspeakable abuses resulting in indescribable pain. I have spent the last year grieving an abortion I was forced to have because of this relationship while he has flaunted his many sexual exploits by sleeping with people we work with. I am not a vengeful person and recognize that the mentally ill cannot truly help what they do, even though we shouldn't include them in our inner circles if we wish to preserve ourselves. Recently, this man was seeing a young single mother that was unprepared for the reality of his disorders, as we all are when we encounter them. She contacted me on Facebook saying she was being mistreated, deceived, and, she thought, cheated on which was making her lose her mind. I tried to offer support by telling her to use her best judgement and put the protection of her son first. She continued to reach out to me and ended up contacting almost every person in our mutual ex's friend list trying to get background information on him. She went so far as to ask a coworker of mine and his to spy on us. She claimed she wanted nothing to do with him and left him alone for a couple of months. Two weeks ago, I found out she was back in contact with our ex and they were accusing me of sending them messages with lies to sever their relationship. Here's where it gets complicated. My heart initially went out to this girl's suffering, before she contacted everyone and requested spying. I tried to see if I could get the whole story for her. I contacted his other ex (because she is still in contact with his mother and often the only one that knows the truth) under a false name because I did not want any back lash. The reason I had a false account was as a research tool for an ethics class I have to take. I was interested in finding out about how many people "friend" people they don't know because they want their friends list to be long and what determined that connection (school networks, mutual friends, etc). The friends list was comprised only of people that Facebook suggested and did not include him or his exes. I did nothing unethical with that account, made no false accusations, defamed no character and only ever contacted this one person with the story that the other ex had given me to say I thought my friend was in trouble and did she know anything? I had no malintent. She did respond, but the relationship had been severed, by this girl, at that time so I did nothing with it. They said that I sent them both messages under this account as well as text messages and email messages trying to convince each of them that the other was cheating on them so I could ruin their relationship. This simply didn't happen. Like I said, this man is a very disturbed individual with a history of pathological lying. I told him he was lying and he was too combative and volitile to have a conversation with to explain. Now, he says he is going to have the IP address tracked and sue whoever sent the messages because they lied and said he was cheating. Like I said, there was only one message, to neither him nor the girl and claimed nothing like that. I was genuinely trying to help (and should have known better based on my experiences with him) and didn't even do anything with the response I got because the relationship was already over. How worried do I need to be about legal reprocussions if the only questionable thing I did was have a false account? Is there anything I can do to protect myself?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry about it much. It is unlikely anything you did is actionable in any way civilly and I don't see any criminal issues. Facebook my kick you off but that is about the worst that can happen. This sounds like one of those times where someone makes threats but won't actually do anything.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess what I need to know is what would someone have to claim to pursue a lawsuit that would allow them to supeona the IP addresses of that account and mine from Facebook? If they can't produce any evidence of threats or bullying or the like (which there wasn't) would a lawyer dismiss it as frivolous or could I be accused of internet stalking? What does that even consist of ... especially since I didn't contact my ex?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Anyone can sue anyone else for anything, so the real issue is will they be successful in the lawsuit and in your case, it is extremely unlikely based on the facts you've given.

A lawyer is going to charge them a lot to pursue it because they know that a judge will frown on them bringing this kind of case. I don't see internet stalking being an issue.