Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My niece was raped when she was 15 yrs old. The guy confessed

My niece was raped when she was 15 yrs old. The guy confessed in Dec of 2009. He wasn't arrested until June 2010. His lawyer has delayed the trial until 14 days after my neice turns 18 which will be in 3 weeks. Will the trial now be in open court instead of closed court since she will no longer be a minor?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney practicing in Tennessee.

No, the case should still be in closed court because the offense occurred when the your niece was a minor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The police officer told us other wise and that the rapist will get off because my niece is now engaged.
the rapist was 24 at the time he raped her. I think the officer wants this case dropped.

Your niece being engaged has nothing to do with the charges against the rapist.

Whether the case is opened or closed depends on what the judge wants to do, but my experience is if the charges pertain to a minor, court is closed - even if the child reaches age 18 before trial.