Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

If i am dating a girl that is 17 and i am 21 and her parents

If i am dating a girl that is 17 and i am 21 and her parents are ok with it, and the most we have done is kiss, could i get charged with anything if someone, not the parents, decides to turn me in for dating a minor?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. In North Dakota, it is not unlawful for a 21 year old to kiss lips with a 17 year old. It is not illegal to "date" a 17 year old; it is illegal for an adult to have sexual contact with a 17 year old. "Sexual contact" is defined as " any touching, whether or not through the clothing or other covering, of the sexual or other intimate parts of the person, or the penile ejaculation or ejaculate or emission of urine or feces upon any part of the person, for the purpose of arousing or satisfying sexual or aggressive desires." Kissing lips is not illegal.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.