Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I have many questions need to ask you. I just got under arrested

I have many questions need to ask you. I just got under arrested of shoplifting under

$1000 in Target in Amherst NY. They caught me all evidence in Security Video Camera. I

m just a visitor in the state here, I m living in Ontario Canada, I have a court day

in Feb 2nd 2012, I will go to court for sure. But I want to know is there anything i

can do to make the best of this situation? I also want to know if I ended up get

sentence, is that mean I will have criminal Record? I also want to know if I will be

able to cross the U.S. Border again? My sister moved from Missouri to buffalo ny for

me to be closer to me, i moved from Toronto to Niagara falls here so to be close to

her, I can't afford to not able to enter the u.s. border again. Please let me know. I

also want to know even tho this is not a serious criminal felony, but is it going to

effect me of going to apply the Permantant Resident in U.s.? My Husband is Natvie

American, my son is living in the state now, this is why I need to know will i have

chance to not able to become a permantant resident after i got the sentence? Also, is

it going to be a huge different if I ever get under arrest of shoplifting again? Will

they put me in Jail if I get under arrested for two times shoplifting under $1000?

This is the first time I get under arrested in the state. Do you think I need to hire

a lawyer even tho this is not a very serious felony crime? better to hire a lawyer or

its not going to help at all since they caught me on video of concealing stuffs in my

car then went back to the store to shoplift again? If so, do you know any good lawyer

in this area? Please help me out, I m greatly appreciate to give me a detail answer.

Thanks so much in advanced.

Following is something about my life, and I m not sure if you need this information to

be able to answer my questions more accurately. I have a shoplifting under $500 when

i was 16 years old, they have the record at the border and they questioned me every

now and then. Will this make my case worse since i have this shoplifting under $500

when i was young. I m now 33 years old. I have a new born son, he is 11 months old. I

have a wonderful husband. But I have horrible childhood, I had been physically,

emotionally and mentally abused by one of my family member. I brought up in wealthy

family and I still don't have finacial problem. I've been seeing psycologist and

psychigist for about 3 years now, i've been on Anti depression medication for 3 years.

I have OCD, Depresstion, Anxiety, Ptsd, eating disorder. I had attamped suicide 2

times in my life, at 16 with pills, and 21 with cut my wrist. My mom had depression

problem and had attamped suicide before. My great Aunt had just past away in October,

she is the signaficate person in my life, my depression get worse when she past away.

I have no money issue, my husband is a great support to me but I had been not able to

work for 8 years now, I felt very bad for spending all his money on paying bills when

i m making no money, I felt more bad of my sister keep helping me unconditionally for

the past 8 years, I thought I could give her some household things as a gifts to make

her feel happy and make myself feel less useless, so I was stupid enough to shoplift

in Target. but she actually never asked me to pay back of the money she've been

helping me ($40000).

Thank you so much again
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

Based on the facts as you have stated them, it does not appear that you dispute the allegations. Additionally, the offense itself is not a terribly serious one. However, the fact that you have a previous offense certainly does not help. With all this in mind, I would urge you to consider hiring an attorney to assist you in this matter.

A competent criminal defense attorney would be familiar with the local rules and laws, he would know the assigned judge and he would know the assigned prosecutor as well. Further, a private attorney could cover many of your court appearances for you, leaving you free to handle your business without concern for appearing in court.

First, you should begin with your state bar association. The New York State Bar has a website, it is located at www.nysba.org.

Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at http://www.martindale.com/.

Another nationwide website is located at http://www.avvo.com/. This site lists attorneys by geographic location and area of practice.

Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person, or contact by phone, so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor