Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

Can a person be charged with anything (tresspassing and possible

Can a person be charged with anything (tresspassing and possible contributing to the deliquency of a minor) without recieving any citation/ticket or being arrested?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

Yes. Even if an individual has not received prior citations regarding a matter, the state may charge the individual with a crime if the prosecutor finds that there may be a basis for such charges. This is true even if there has been no prior contact with law enforcement or the state.
I realize that this can be counterintuitive. However, it can happen when a crime was reported and when officers were not present, when an officer reviews a matter and doesn't issue a citation but makes a report, etc.

Just let me know if you need any clarification!

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There happen to be a kid with my brother who was 16/17. My brother just turned 18. The police officer just took all the kids (9-10 kids) information.

Thank you for your Reply! I'm not sure what else you want to know. Do you want additional information? If so, please let me know waht you want to know.

The age of the parties does not alter that and nothing in your reply changes the answer I previously posted. However, if you have additional questions, please just let me know what they are.

Please let me know if you need any clarification!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well the way I was told as if it was more of a slap on the wrist. There were no drugs/alchol involved other than they were walking around and checkiing out a alledged huanted school. So im not sure how my brother can be charged with the contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Im just trying to help him out by seeing if there was anything he could do to know if he was formally charged.
If it was a slap on the wrist, the officer may have just let it go at that. If he is formally charged, he will be notified, as he must be given an opportunity to respond.
Realistically, if an officer says "go home and don't do it again," an individual isn't usually charged at a later date. Officers do occasionally recognize that people make small mistakes and, if no harm occurs, they may just put an end to the issue and drop the matter. That may be what happened. However, nothing prevents the officer from filing a report and nothing prevents a prosecutor from charging perpetrators at a later date as long as the state knows who was involved. Realistically though, if an officer lets someone go without a major ordeal and without a citation, he's often cutting the individual a break.
If your brother is contacted again by the state about the matter, he should absolutely retain an attorney and have his attorney present for any discussions with law enforcement so his attorney can help him avoid making any damaging admissions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you sooo much... You were very helpful Smile Just wanted to tell you before I accepted. Didnt know if I could send you that afterwards.
My pleasure! I'm glad that I provided some valuable information and thank you in advance for clicking accept!

I hope the rest of the week treats you and yours very well and that you have a great holiday season!
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney