Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

can a police officer or federal agent with an arrest warrant

can a police officer or federal agent with an arrest warrant kick my front door in and arrest me from my bedroom at 5.30am?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, if it is your residence and if they have an arrest warrant they have a right to make forcible entry to effect that arrest at any time.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
There is nothing incomplete, you asked a one sentence question and the answer you received was correct and accurate based on what you supplied. If you want more information, then you need to provide more specifics, but the information you have received thus far is accurate and complete. Use the reply button if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
beg your anwer to the 4th amendment
The 4th Amendment requires a search warrant ONLY if they are coming to arrest you in a house OTHER THAN YOUR OWN. Thus, if you are at a friend's house they cannot enter the house without consent unless they have an actual search warrant in addition to the arrest warrant. However, in your residence all that is required is an arrest warrant.