Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was arrested on 10/17/11 for an alleged DUI. I have had my

I was arrested on 10/17/11 for an alleged DUI. I have had my hearing with the DMV and was denied for temporary and to be extended. I know this was based on the fact that I refused the breathalyzer. I realize that it is automatic to lose license for atleast 90 days when refuse breathalyzer. I went to court on 11-9-11 to have the arraignment and also asked for a public defender. I was denied a public defender and the judge post poned the arraignment until 12-7-11 to see if i could get an attorney. i am not financially able to hire an attorney and will be going to court next week. Do you know how or when I can get a hardship license? I really do not agree with the arrest and I just want this over with. I would like to fight this but have no one to help me fight this. What if I plead "no contest" or should I plead quilty? The states attorney on 11-9-11 was not even giving me a chance to see if I was quilty. He continued on and on about how serious this crime was etc and the judge told him "we are not even to this point" Judge was kind and postponed until next week. Any advice you can assist me with regarding the "hardship license" and what to do next week. I cannot afford an attorney and have no one to help me financially.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

If you have been denied the public defender, what you must do is make contact with local attorneys and get estimates of what they will charge you for representation. Then you will need to present that to the Judge stating that you cannot afford, that you do not have any assets to convert for the representation. At that time, the Judge should allow you to apply for the services of the PD. The PD is reserved for persons who are indigent. That means that have no assets. For instance, if you have a home where you could get a line of credit to pay for an attorney, then you would be refused the services.

Samuel-II :

Once the DUI is adjudicated, whether guilty or not, you may then apply for a hearing to seek a hardship license where you will need to show that you must drive for your employment or to medical appointments, etc. IF there are no public service transportation available in your area which can get you to work or medical appointments, then you will be able to get a hardship license.

Samuel-II :

But you must finish with the Criminal aspect first, having the DUI resolved one way or the other

Samuel-II :

At this time, I suggest you can use the Florida Bar Association for a referral service to consult with local attorneys and get those fee estimates to present to the Judge.

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi