Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I received a call from a investigator trying to collect a debt

Customer Question

I received a call from a investigator trying to collect a debt from a pay day loan that I took out in 2008. The investigator claims that they are charging me with theaft of goods and check fraud. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.

Well the first thing I would say is that if you owe the money you consider trying to find a way to get this paid. Even if they are just blowing smoke or the State won't file charges for this, they can still file a civil lawsuit and that will end up costing you a lot more money then the original debt. That said, if someone from the State (law enforcement) does contact you about these alleged charges, you want to decline to make a statement to them unless and until you have consulted with a local criminal defense attorney. In other words, any statement that you make to anyone, other than your attorney, can be used against you to prove charges. If you don't make a statement, then they have to build their case based on just paperwork. Normally that won't be enough to show an intent not to pay back the money at the time you borrowed it, which is what would be required for any type of fraud or theft charge.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.