Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

we are in ohio,have a neighbor that leaves semi tractors run

we are in ohio,have a neighbor that leaves semi tractors run all night sometimes, 25ft from our bedroom window.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Have you made a report of this to the Sheriff?

Are the semi's parked legally and on the private property?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry yes have reported ot sheriff. doent seem to be a noise ordinance in this county. they are commercial over the road trucks licenced in another state, yet parks them here
So the place where the trucks are parked is a commercial parking lot/business?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. private small homstead
Generally commercial truck would not be allowed to be parked in the residential neighborhood.

I would suggest that you file a formal complaint with the local zoning officer and have this zoning officer investigate this unacceptable situation and hopefully it will get resolved.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we are in the country, so zoning probably won t apply. are commercial trucks from an out of state buisness allowed to use private property in another state as there home dock? he doesnt even own the property.
Generally if someone wants to run a business out of their home, they would have to obtain a proper business licensing.

I would also suggest that you contact your state police and state's DOT and they might be able to look into this matter further for you.

9201205177
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would the DOT have to do with parking trucks on private property? did you mean bmv? just dont want to look foolish calling the wrong offices. how about the state highway patrol? we dont have state police in ohio. also there are unlicenced, unplated vehicles sitting around, some not running and .vehicles with fictious tags. same dept? same prcedure? thanks just talked to zoning... there is none in this rural area ,he said possibly disturbing the peace issure, he didnt know about unlicenced vehicles. although this is about the all night noise, im looking for other avenues of remedy also thanks
Thank you for your follow up and sorry for any delay.

DOT is responsible for the interstate regulation concerning semi-trucks.

Also it appears that there are several different laws that are being violated by the truck owner, such as having vehicles with fictitious plates, which in itself can be a criminal offense.

I would suggest that you do speak to the Sheriff's office again and if the deputy does not want to investigate and enforce various violations, I would suggest that you contact the actual Sheriff in writing by certified mail with return receipt for your records and to document the fact that you are reporting these violations and state the situation in your letter and request for the Sheriff's Department to conduct an investigation.

You also might be able to pursue this matter in civil court under the nuisance doctrine, as having a semi truck in a residential neighborhood running at night, as well as, other junk vehicles that are not properly registered insured does create nuisance and affects your property value.

I would also suggest that you contact the actual owner/landlord of this property and state your position and demand for the owner to remedy the situation immediately or to fact legal recourse.