TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

My husband was arrested on Domistic v. case, according to the

My husband was arrested on Domistic v. case, according to the local police. He didi not hit me, I ran into the back of a truck with a ladder extending out over the bumper. I explaned this to the officer and he told me I was lieing. My husband was given a bail of $50,000. We had to pay the lawyer and the bail bondsman $5000 each, then the charges were dropped. Is there a way to get any of our money back?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 5 years ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Unfortunately, no.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The state is not obligated to pay for expenses incurred by people charged with crimes, even if the charges were dismissed.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The only occasion they may be required to repay the person is if there was some kind of police corruption.

Customer:

Thanks for your answer. Thats what I though. No corruption he was just a jerk, I didn;t like being called a lier when I had witnesses

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

As a matter of public policy, the law does not require the state to repay the expenses because that would effectively discourage prosecutors from dropping charges if it cost their office money to do so. As a matter of policy, we want prosecutors to drop charges any time they feel it is necessary.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Sorry for the bad news. It sucks, but that's the law.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

Thanks again, no help at this time thanks again