Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Hi I got picked up for shop lifting at a major hardware store

Customer Question

Hi I got picked up for shop lifting at a major hardware store about 3 hrs ago and now I am in a panic about the possible ramifications. The total of goods was $40 and I am humiliated and very very sorry and have never had a record or been in any trouble in my life. I am 42 and female. After I had paid for some of the goods a guy was waiting outside and took me to the security office where I was questioned. They did not call the police but made me sign a form of addmission of the incident and on the form it said that I was banned from the stores for life, then they made me pay for the goods. Not sure if I have a record now as I have to do work experience soon. Help
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

I am sorry this has happened to you. But because they allowed you to pay for the goods and then leave you will not be charged with any crime. You will be placed in a database and will not be allowed into any of the stores anywhere in the nation.

Samuel-II :

But they gave you a huge break.

Samuel-II :

You have no record

Samuel-II :

You were not arrested

Samuel-II :

So if you fill out work applications you can honestly say no

Customer:

thank god so I wont be contacted later by the police do you think?

Samuel-II :

No

Samuel-II :

If they allowed you to pay, then they are not going to file charges

Samuel-II :

If they were going to file charges, they would not have allowed you to pay. But they have banned you.

Samuel-II :

And that is in a database for all of their stores

Customer:

thank you so much because I have learnt from this but I thought I had just ruined my life for good.

Samuel-II :

I understand. They really gave you a break

Samuel-II :

It certainly can ruin one's life.

Samuel-II :

To be tagged as a shoplifter is not a good thing at all

Customer:

okay thanks very much you have made me feel much better and I thanked them for their kindness but I didnt know if it would be followed up.

Samuel-II :

You're welcome

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Customer:

So I will only be charged $38 right?

Samuel-II :

Yes

Samuel-II :

That is correct

Customer:

okay thanks