Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My son was grabbed by his coach at a high school football game.

Customer Question

My son was grabbed by his coach at a high school football game. Actually twice.

The coach is very muscular and he came at my son in anger.My son was scared and thought the coach was going to hit him.my son pushed the coach away, and the coach again came after him repeating the grabbing etc.

An anonymous call went out to DCF, and an investigator came and talked to my son.

The investigator said he was going into the school in three days. it has no been about 6 weeks, and he has changed his tune.he now says that because my son did not receive broken bones its not child abuse. he is still going into the private school to question the headmaster and coach.

The headmaster did not report the incident.

I am still pondering criminal charges for battery against the coach.

My questions are as follows.

Is the headmaster required by law to report this incident?
does child abuse have to include broken bones? My son feared this man during the attack, is the DCF investigator taking this to lightly?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

I am sorry to hear this.

Sam :

It is assault. Not there does not have to be broken bones.

Sam :

The headmaster should have reported the incident to you and after consulting with you, a report made, if that is what you decided

Sam :

I believe it is being taken very lightly.

Sam :

If the school is not going to take this seriously and discipline the coach then I suggest you call the police and make a report

Customer :

the coach admitted it to my son and I in front of the headmaster tht he was at fault.Now the headmaster is lying and saying my son put his hand on the coach and then the coach reacted to this,they are lying.

Sam :

Ah.

Sam :

Shameful. Any witnesses for your son?

Customer :

just the coach admitting his fault to the whole team a couple of days later.

Sam :

Ah. Of course, no one on the team will want to testify, right?

Customer :

wetook my son off the team.and he is going to another school at the end of this semester.I have contemplated the police angle.

Customer :

dont know yet.Waiting on DCF investigation at the school.

Sam :

I see

Sam :

Well, you have the basis to file the criminal report

Sam :

What else can I provide information for you?

Customer :

what type of atty should i consult?

Sam :

Well, you dont need to consult with an attorney for criminal charges. The State's Attorney will handle that for your son

Customer :

for a lawsuit?

Sam :

For a civil lawsuit, you can use the Florida Bar Association for a referral service. I will get you that contact information

Sam :

You need an attorney who does civil litigation.

Customer :

thanks

Sam :

Here is the contact for the referral Wish you all the best

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.