Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

If a person has been in the Illinois system and has signed

If a person has been in the Illinois system and has signed the extradition order over sixty days prior, can they still be retained in Illinois while awaiting extradition for Minnesota?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying that you signed an agreement to be extradited? If so, is that the only reason that you were incarcerated for at least a period of time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I signed an order to be extradited to Minnesota because I had charges there from 1997 and had moved to Chicago. Now while in Chicago I had to answer for a domestic in which I served sixty days and was to be released on probation. Instead of being released. I am being held so that they can find out what Minnesota is planning on doing I guess? Cook County jail signed me out, then Inturned myself over to Belvidere County, Il. To answer here in the morning on a traffic violation, but they are saying I have to be held to wait on Minnesota. I guess my question is, If I was released by Cook Cou Ty and signed the order to be extradited to Minnesota on Oct. 4, 2011. Can they still hold me or has the thirty days begun? Or since I am in another county of Illinois does the thirty days start over?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
I have never seen a case like that but the time limit should start once the order is either agreed to by you or signed by the judge. They don't get an extension just because it is a different county. Ask for a court appointed lawyer and ask them to file an Application for a Writ of Habeas Corpus quickly.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So are you saying that on tomorrow morning I can ask the public defender about the Habeus corpus and they can determine at that time can I be released or do I wait in jail and serve more time or wait on Minnesota since I have been waiting since Oct.4, 2011?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Once the lawyer brings it to the judge's attention, usually through a Habeas Corpus proceeding, then the judge should order you released pursuant to Sec. 725 ILCS 225/15. However, he can also extend the "hold" for another 60 days.

You can read the statutes at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1994&ChapterID=54

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I have already served sixty days after the Oct. 4th does that mean sixty added to that or is that the sixty? Not to sound stupid, I guess I just want to know if the first sixty count? Because I gave sixty to cook county after signing the extradite order which that judge called time considered served....
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
It says the judge can extend it by 60, but I think there is a good argument that the total amount should be 90 overall. The statutory language is clear that they don't want someone just sitting around forever so a judge is likely to rule that Minnesota had plenty of time to come and get you.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.