How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29269
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

help-- got dui in california wasnt even driving just sitting

Customer Question

help-- got dui in california wasnt even driving just sitting in car after leaving my house had called 911 husband was being physically abusive - had lawyer case strung out-- went to minnesota got dui done all requested by minnesota g passed drivers test in MN, got temp license then couldnt be finalizied cause of california. QUESTION can I cancel out calif license -if ever want back will have to complete classes-- ang get a minnesota license.

Am I eligible for Application for Termination of
Action 13353.5 California Vehicle Code. A lady at the CA DMV sent the waiver packet to me which basically allows me to ask CA to release my suspension and cancel my Calif Driver license. It's a one-time allowance. that will free me up to get my Minnesota license, right? Then when I called back to the Mandatory Actions Unit to make sure what I was doing before I sent the packet back a different agent had a fit and said I wasn't eligible until my suspension was over in California Fweb 2013, AND no driving under any circumstances. I also am required to finish an 18 month DUI class but I've already completed ALL that was required for my DMV in Minnesota. Also they do not let me do any dui classes here. My question is this: Is this packet something I want to fill out an send? California is punishing me twice. I already haven't driven in a year. Also can MN Driver evaluator have the authority/power to overide that if I bring in all my paperwork an explain my situation. I literally cannot drive. I just got accepted into a nursing program and my mom needs help medically. I can't believe I have NO options to drive. Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You can apply to have your driving privileges restored under Cal. Veh. Code, Section 13353.5 if you're a resident of Minnesota when your California suspension ends. So, if your California license is suspended until February 2013, unfortunately, the packet won't do you any good until then.

Minnesota law does allow a person to apply for a hardship license when his Minnesota driving privileges have been revoked or suspended. To get that, you essentially have to show that there is no public transportation that will let you get to work, and that you don't live with anyone who can drive you. To determine whether you're eligible, and to find out how to apply, contact the local DMV office.

I hope it works out for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Lucy

Thanks for your reply. Okay that confirms what the CA dmv keeps telling me. I am satisfied with your reply, but how do I choose what I want to pay. Or is it automatically 28 dollars. I think the time it took was about 15 dollars worth. Can I pay that?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The price is set when you post the question. That's one of the things that we look at when deciding whether to Answer. However, if you're not 100% satisfied that the Answer you received was worth the agreed amount, I can ask customer service to adjust it for you.

Have a good day.