Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

How do I get my record expunge in Clayton County. The misdemeanor

How do I get my record expunge in Clayton County. The misdemeanor happed 10 years ago at age 19
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

Each state is different as to which of their crimes, if any, they will allow to be expunged. Georgia is among the less generous states in this regard. They will not expunge an adult convictions, so unless yours was a juvenile offense, it will havet to remain on your record.. See link to a plain English version of Georgia's Expungement statutes.

That means the only thing you can do to minimze the effects of a conviction would be to apply for a pardon from the governor of Georgia. The GA state board of pardons and paroles screens applicants for the governor. You can read about pardons and how to apply on their website here. This is a longshot but is something you can do for yourself without a lawyer, so there's no reason not to try.