Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

A cop told me and my girlfriend who is 17 that we could not

A cop told me and my girlfriend who is 17 that we could not talk to each other. There was never a restraining order put on. we continued to talk and now she is in trouble. Can he legally do that and what are her options
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Legally if he told her not to speak with you, and she did, this in and of itself is not a violation of any laws and any restraining order must be issued by the courts. However, you say she is in "trouble" and you do not mention what kind of trouble, but many times the police will try to intervene in situations without the courts to try to avoid giving people criminal records and this may be what this officer was trying to do for you and your girlfriend.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has a court date on Dec 11. The officer continued to threaten to arrest her if she did not admitt to stuff. He is claiming that she lied to him and disobeyed an order from him to not talk to me
What did she get arrested for? You still have not disclosed anything to me as to what exactly happened, because it was much more than you two just being told not to talk to each other, she did something because if you did something you would be the one going to court. So, please tell us what is actually going on because without that we cannot assist you with the information you are seeking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is what happened I went to her basketball game after the game she got into my car we kissed and talked I got out to get her a ring and a letter out of the trunk. I got back in and a few min later a cop knocked at my window asking me to step out. A women claimed to have seen me with my pants around my ankles when I got out which was not true. They decided not to do anything because there was no proof. Her mother was called, when she arrived she walked up to me and said if you ever talk to me again I will throttle you.then the cop walked up to me and told me I am free to go and that me and Robyn my girlfriend could no longer speak to each other. I left and we continued to do so the following days her mom found out and called the cops and that's when they served Robyn with court papers
I fail to understand why your girlfriend and not you were served with court papers, that is the issue I am having and what were these papers for. Also, how old are you and is the age thing the reason for the mother's actions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a number where I can contact you to better explain
No, I am afraid the site rules prohibit communication in any manner but this forum, so please tell me exactly what is going on because this picture is missing many pieces.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience