Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My niece is married to a policeman who has just had her arrested

My niece is married to a policeman who has just had her arrested on a 302. what are her rights
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry to hear of this situation.

You may read about the Involuntary Committment here.

Upon intake your niece should be advised that she has a right to speak to an Ombudsman or Advocate to help on her behalf. You also may consult with a local attorney who can make sure that she is not kept there without a court order for longer than the initial 120 hours.

You need to be cautious because if upon intake a nurse marks that she is suicidal they can get a court order to keep her there longer.

You can read the rights under section (j) in the provided link

This is not something you want to leave to chance. I suggest you consult with a local attorney to check on her as soon as you can.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck