Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

my son violated his parole and missed his court date in colorado

Customer Question

my son violated his parole and missed his court date in colorado for a misdeamenor for harassment by leaving the state and going to California to go to school. He would like to visit us in california for christmas is there any legal implications for my wife and I
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

He violated his Parole by going to CA and then was brought back to CO for a hearing? Or he is still in California?

Customer:

he is still in california going to school

Samuel-II :

Ah. But he has an outstanding violation? I mean is CO looking for him? Or is he now in CA with the permission of CO? Sorry I just want to be clear

Customer:

he has an outstanding violation in co, and is california without permission

Samuel-II :

I see. Thank yoou

Samuel-II :

If you allow him to visit and CO Parole finds out that you did not turn him in, you could be charged with harboring a fugitive as well as obstructing Justice

Samuel-II :

So you need to ask yourself what that risk is that he would be found at your home while visiting

Samuel-II :

There is a warrant for his arrest, of course. And that will remain active until it is served

Customer:

we have told them where in california he is

Samuel-II :

or otherwise recalled.

Samuel-II :

And...?

Samuel-II :

They are not interested in an extradition ?

Samuel-II :

Who did you inform?

Customer:

the fugitive officer

Samuel-II :

I see. Well, if CO is not interested then you should have no problems with them locating him while visiting. However, they can still charge you. When does his Parole expire?

Customer:

10 months

Samuel-II :

I see

Samuel-II :

Well, it is a situation where he is a fugitive.

Samuel-II :

And they can charge you.

Samuel-II :

So you need to decide if they will find out he is visiting with you.

Customer:

do they have jurisdiction in california

Samuel-II :

Well, the warrant does

Samuel-II :

He can be arrested on the warrant. Held and taken back to CO for a hearing. As to your charges, the CA District Attorney can charge you

Samuel-II :

It would not be CO.

Samuel-II :

But CA has obstruction of justice and harboring fugitive laws that would apply

Customer:

thanks

Samuel-II :

Yes. You're welcome

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.