Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

is there a statute of limitations on theft and identity theft

Customer Question

is there a statute of limitations on theft and identity theft in the state of ohio
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
For any fraud the statute of limitations is 1 year from the date the offense was discovered. For the theft the Ohio statute of limitations is 6 years or 2 years if it is a misdemeanor (under $1000).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if i have an indictment for 2 counts of theft in 2005 and 2 counts of identity theft fraud in 2004 do i have a chance of winning this by the statute of limitations law
If you were indicted in 2005 and 2004, the indictment stops the statute of limitations from running. If you were just indicted on these charges now, then it still may not help you if the theft was a felony since the statute of limitations is 6 years and that would mean 2011 and the fraud would be 1 year from when they discovered the fraud. So it may not help you at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the charges was from 2004 and 2005 i just got indicted on them today
Then it is possible that you can argue the statute of limitations, but without reading the police reports and indictment I cannot be more specific than that. I told you what was required under the statute of limitations and that is the most I can tell you without reading the files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there wasnt a police report. my fiance of 6 years from 2003-the end of 2008 is now claiming i used his credit card without his consent .... lie and that i got a loan in his name without him knowing... when all along the statements was going to his address. I paid a large portion of the debt already but he is going backwards and sueing for the full amount of the accounts which he benefited from some of the purchases as well.
If there was fraud involved then it would run from the time he allegedly discovered it. However, based on what you are saying if he benefited from the purchases and you can prove he knew about them then this too is a valid defense that it was not done without his knowledge or consent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he discovered it in 04 and 05 i lived in his home and the statements was coming to his house, he knew i was paying it all along when i moved out in 2008 i continued to pay until 2010 i had at that point paid over 1/2 the debt... how can he sue for the full amount and would i not get credit for the amounts that i have paid since he has paid nothing on either account
Then the Statute of Limitations would be one of your main defenses that your attorney will raise. He can sue for the full amount, but he can only recover the actual damages he can prove that he had to pay or will have to pay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you are awesome... thank you for the info.... also one last questions they are indicting me on a fourth degree felony on all counts i have never even had a speeding ticket in 44 years... am i looking a jail time or probation
Thank you. It sounds like you have a valid defense to this and you do need an attorney for certain, but even if for some odd reason they find you guilty, it is unlikely that with no record ever that you would get anything more than probation.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a way to keep the indictment out of the local newspaper
Unfortunately, this is public record, so you cannot keep it off the news or out of the newspaper.