Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

An ex employee sent me a threatening email today 4 months after

An ex employee sent me a threatening email today 4 months after his employment ended stating he will post slanderous information about me and my company within 4 days to ripoffreport.com and 53 other highly visited websites. He is upset over his misunderstanding of our signed employment agreement. He is blackmailing me to pay him the $1020 he feels I owe him based on his misunderstanding of our agreement. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
It is potentially considered extortion if he is threatening to post false statements about your company to harm your business and is demanding money he is not entitled to in order to not post the comments. However, this would be up to the DA and you need to bring the letter to the DA to review to determine whether or not they are interested in prosecuting or whether or not this is a civil matter.

It is not illegal or extortion for the employee to post TRUE information about your company or his opinion based on facts from which a reasonable person could come to those opinions. It is considered defamation (libel) only if he is posting known false information about your company and possibly the common law tort of false light if he is publishing misleading information with malice to portray your company in a false light.

At this point you really should contact your attorney to have them send the employee a letter to cease and desist making threats and warning him that if he makes any such false and libelous posts about your company you will sue him for damages. The attorney will tell him that if he believes there has been a breach of contract, which you deny, then he is free to resolve the matter by legal channels, meaning he can go to court to pursue the money, but threats will not be tolerated.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience