CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

NO FELONIES. COMMITTED ONCE FOR SUICIDAL(BY SISTER) - BUT

NO FELONIES. COMMITTED ONCE FOR SUICIDAL(BY SISTER)
- BUT DEEMED SOUND(72 HOUR HOLD). LATER DIANOSED BIPOLAR ONE VOULENTARILY SELF COMMITTED FOR MED ADJUSTMENTS. PICKED UP A P.I. CHARGE RECENTLY.6 MONTH PROBATION. PROBATION REQUIRES I GET BACK ON MEDS AND GET COUNSELED. MADISON COUNTY INDIANA. NO OTHER CHARGES. I DONT WANT TO CARRY ONE JUST HOME PROTECTION. I HAVE NONE IN MY HOME DUE TO PROBATION AT THIS TIME. iHAVE NEVER POINTED A GUN OR THREATENED. IS THERE A GRAND FATHER CLAUSE? NO ONE HAS EVER TOLD ME TO TURN IN MY GUN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

What is your specific question? What do you mean when you are asking about a grand father clause?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
iam being asked to click accept but all i have received so far are questions. no answer. thank you again.

You do not have to click accept until after I answer your question. I do need to know the answers to what I asked you, so if you could reply, it would help. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
am i allowed to own a home defense weapon with bipolar one dianosis. my heart doctor gives me xanax for stress its a family stress heart thing. i dont knpw yet what meds i will be on soon.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
grand father clause eg a previously owned weapon.

Federal law defines a number of classes of prohibited purchasers or possessors,
including felons, fugitives, persons adjudicated as "mental defectives" or those
committed to mental institutions, and leaves to the states the power to
determine additional classes.

In addition to the federal prohibitions, Indiana has adopted other classes of
prohibited persons, and incorporated some of the federal prohibitions as state
offenses.

Indiana Code Annotated § 35-47-2-7(b) prohibits any person
from transferring a handgun to an individual who the transferor has reasonable
cause to believe:

• Has been convicted of a felony or adjudicated a delinquent child for an act
    that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain
    ownership or possession of the handgun is less than 23 years of age;

• Is a drug abuser;

• Is an alcohol abuser; or

• Is mentally incompetent.

A person may not sell, give, or otherwise transfer a handgun to any person
under age 18. Section 35-47-2-7(a). In addition, a child (defined as a
person under age 18 per section 35-47-10-3) who knowingly, intentionally, or
recklessly possesses a firearm for any purpose other than those described in section 35-47-10-1 commits a Class A misdemeanor. Section 35-47-10-5.

In addition, any person convicted of domestic battery under section 35-42-2-1.3, or any person convicted of committing, attempting to commit, or conspiring to commit a serious violent felony, is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Sections 35-47-4-5, 35-47-4-6.

If any of this applies to your situation, you would not be able to own the weapon.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE HAD ONLY 2 ALCOHOL RELATED CHARGES IN MY LIFE IN THE LAST 5 YEARS EVER. MY PROBATION REQUIRES ONLY THAT I GET BACKON MEDS. AND COUNSELING FOR 6 MONTHS PROBATION. AFTER PROBATION I RETURN MY GUN TO MY HOME.

"COMMITTED " SELF COMMITED?

BIPOLAR ONE.."MENTALLY INCOMPETENT" ?

AFTER SATISFYING 6 MO. PROBATION WOULD I STIILL BE CONSIDERED AN ALCOHOL ABUSER IF PROBATION IS SATISFIED?

WHERE CAN I VEIW NEW "ADOPTED NEW CLASSES" ?

YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB! THANK YOU. I AM VERY SATISFIED SO FAR.

FINISH ME UP HERE AND I;LL LEAVE YOU ALONE. THANK YOU AGAIN.
Im glad you are satisifed. It would be subjective if you were an abuser but if you complete what is required and have completed probation, it could be viewed as you being rehabilitated and no longer having any problems. Thank you and good luck. If you have no other questions, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
didnt quite get these answers or atleast your feelings here. i understand you are in no way bound so perhaps just your personal advise to a friend.

"COMMITTED " SELF COMMITED?<???

BIPOLAR ONE.."MENTALLY INCOMPETENT" ?<???

should i just ask my probation and let the cat out of the bag? i live in a smalll town community. my proby.knows all the police as do i. if she looks me up for availabiloty to in the future to own the weapon... the cats out of the bag.

WHERE CAN I VEIW NEW "ADOPTED NEW CLASSES" ? <???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have had a home invasion and was hospitalized. i live in coyote country and require a weapon to live here .
The adopted classes were those which I listed. Mentally incompetent would be something that would need to be declared by a doctor. Being Bi-Polar alone, would not likely amount to it. The commitment to a mental hospital would be the only questionable thing, but it was voluntary. However, if you already own the weapon and are not buying a new one, it may not be applicable unless you received notice that you right was being taken away by the State of Indiana.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you very much. so leave the cat in the bag? if i dont ask then i dont know, right? how could i find out without talking???. perhaps just try to buy one? again the cat and bag concept?
It is at your discretion to speak with your PO about it. If they have not brought up the issue or advised you of anything related to it, it may be best to leave it alone. You can pick up an application, read it and see if any of the questions that are asked apply to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i feel alot better and semi educated with your help.

atleast not so blind.great job!please forward this to yoursupervisor.

at the moment you have eleveated a large burdon that was most important (healthwise) at this time. I'll leave the cat in the bag. in this small town all the judges and prosecutors,lawyers make the rules over drinks. I'll leave well enough alone.

have a great day. 2 thumbs up!
it would have cost me 75 bucks to ask a crooked local attorney. .

Your welcome. If you have not already, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.