Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

two cops just came to my house saying i have been depositing

two cops just came to my house saying i have been depositing too much money in my bank account at chase. what does this mean?

Dave Kennett :

There's no law against depositing money into your bank account and I have no way of knowing how the cops would know the amounts. Whatever the case may be you should not talk to the police at all. You should tell them you are not going to answer any questions and that you want to speak to a lawyer before you answer anything. Obviously I have no idea what this is about so you need to keep quiet and see if anyone from the bank contacts you for an explanation. You need to let the bank tell you what the problem may be and not answer any questions from them as well. It is probably a suspected case of bank fraud or money laundering and only you know whether you have been engaged in any illegal activity. In any event don't say anything to anyone and if you are charged with a crime continue to remain silent and get a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer the court will appoint one for you.