Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

MY GRANDAUGHTER WAS MOLESTED BY A CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER. THE

MY GRANDAUGHTER WAS MOLESTED BY A CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER. THE POLICE ARE DRAGGING THEIR FEET. WHAT CAN I DO?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for the situation. Please tell me more about what happened and how long has it been since the incident? Also, is there a restraining order in place against him by a civil or criminal court?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 and 1/2 months. She was molested by the husband of the landlord. The police have started an investigation. She has been thru the forensic exam and interview. The investigator says that he believes her but there is no physical evidence. He has interviewed all parties and says he will give it the the County Attorney. So far nothing.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. It is not that the police is not doing anything, but that they are going through the process which can be slow. Allow me to explain how this works, and this may help.

1 - a call is made
2 - investigation is launched. Police and CPS each do their own investigation
3 - police reach a conclusion anywhere from 1-3 months (typical for rape cases without physical evidence) down the line and send the information over to the county's district attorney office with a recommendation to charge or not, and the DA makes a decision to file charges or not.

The problem here is that there is no physical evidence. This makes the police move slower to send the recommendation because they want to build up their case for the DA. This means interviews with everyone, arranging them, etc. Perhaps testing what they do have (6-9 weeks sometimes). Believe me, they have him on their radar, but it may be 3-6 months before he is charged, and if he is. It is simply the way the process works, so they are actually more or less where they typically would be.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

I am sure that you prefer that I tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear. Please do not “shoot the messenger.” This medium of communication may not always effectively express emotion but do know that I understand that this may not be easy to hear and I empathize.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is a convicted sex offender. He is not supposed to even be around children. He was convicted in July. This happened in August. Shouldn't they arrest him for violating terms of release?

Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but that is up to them. If they have not done so, perhaps that is a break down in their communication process. Call the police and find out who his PO is (Probation Officer), and then call the PO and alert them to what happened. They may violate him!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome! If the police do not give you this information, come back to me and we'll try to find it together.