Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

If you hire a criminal attorney to get your bond set, can you

If you hire a criminal attorney to get your bond set, can you then get a public defender? Or do you just have one shot at getting a public defender?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 3 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I am working on an answer to your question now. Please be patient and I will post the answer as soon as possible. This may take a little time, as it may require some research and it takes some time to type up a response.

Thank you!
If an individual hires an attorney for a criminal matter and then finds he is unable to continue to afford the attorney, he may ask the court to appoint a public defender for him. The individual's finances will then be evaluated and, if he qualifies financially for a court appointed attorney, the court will then appoint one for him (even if he had previously hired an attorney earlier in the matter). However, he will still be obligated to pay the original attorney for any services rendered.

I hope the matter works out well! Good luck!

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney