Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

my son was involve in an altercation at school over a kid oweing

Customer Question

my son was involve in an altercation at school over a kid oweing him twenty dollars.
He was brought to the office and placed in a room until the police arrived.
When asked if he would speak to the officer by the vice pricipal he said that he would like to have a lawyer present or his dad present to represent him.
At witch time the vice principal said that if he didnt talk to the officer that he would look guilty after being asked sevral time by the vice pricipal to speak with the officer he broke down and agreed.
The officer was allowed into the room without any adult reprisentation. my son was not read his rights and the police officer assumed that the money was owed due to a drug deal and proceeded to sniff my sons backpack in an attemt to search it for probable cause to open it.
When i reached the school the police officer was in the room and made the statement that my son would be better off telling me what the situation was about rather from him telling me and at that time left the room without speaking to me or the V.P.
were his rights violated and do i have any recorce.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Once your son said he wanted an attorney, then all questioning should have ceased.

As to recourse, has he been charged with a crime?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i seek a lawyer for this or are there other entities that would be better suited for this type of issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

reguardles of the fact that he was not charged with a crime were his rights violated?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Yes, his rights were violated. Once he requested an attorney to be present no questioning should have taken place.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what would be the best course of action at this point
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Well, that is why I was asking if he had charges, then I could have provided all answers together

If he has been charged based on something he has said or was discovered, of course, it would be inadmissible and therefore no probable cause.

I suggest you consider a consult with a local attorney to discuss any criminal charges that may be pending.

If there are no charges, then you can discuss a possible lawsuit against the school district.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there any course of action against the police officer for entering the room without any adult or school employees in the room and basicly searching my sons backpack by sniffing it
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

The reason for the recourse is your son requested an attorney and was told he did not need one. The fact that the cop sat there and sniffed his back pack is of no significance. That would be legitimate, if your son had not requested an attorney to be present. In otherwords, even with an attorney present the cop could have sniffed the backpack.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i thank you for your time
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Yes, you're welcome. Good luck with it all.