AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

my daughters dr office called her school and told her school

Customer Question

my daughters dr office called her school and told her school nurse her entire medical history with out my ok. They never asked me to talk to any regard her medical records. where they aloud to do this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I am working on an answer to your question now. Please be patient and I will post the answer as soon as possible. This may take a little time, as it may require some research and it takes some time to type up a response.

Thank you!
From what you've described, it sounds as though a HIPAA violation may have occurred. HIPAA regulates privacy regarding personally identifiable health information If a patient doesn't approve a release of medical records to a third party, a doctor may not usually do so.
A victim of a HIPAA violation can report the matter to the US Dept. of Health and Human Services - Office for Civil Rights. You can reach the Office at the link below. Further, there's a wealth of information regarding HIPAA, penalties (civil and criminal), etc. at this location.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!