Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

My 17 son was assaulted at his high school recently. I currently

My 17 son was assaulted at his high school recently. I currently owe for his medical bills for the ambulance and his hospital stay. What are my options?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Was the person who assaulted your child charged with a crime?

Was the person under 18?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes he was at the time he was 17 this past May when it happened. He is now 18 and the boy that assaulted him was a minor also. My son received a fracture in his face and stiches in his lower lip. He has no memory of what happened. My wife and I saw the video from the gym where it happened. The other boy just came up to my son, kick him in the groin and then punched him in his face.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Your option, if you have no health insurance, is to file a suit against the parents of the other boy since he was a juvenile and they are responsible. I'm not certain if he was charged with a crime but if so you can ask the court to award restitution for the medical costs. Those are the only two options you would have to recover your loss unless there was some other person involved as a third party to the fight. If there is a video it would be easy to show who was at fault in the incident.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have insurance but still have my portion of about $1,000 to pay. The school will not give me the name of the boy since he is a minor. I am having trouble getting a local lawyer to be interested in this case.
Well you can file a small claims suit against the school for negligence and then force to reveal the name of the student in discovery or I suppose you can ask your son to find out the name which I would think would be very simple to do. In any event your suit can be filed in the small claims court without the need for an attorney. If you hire an attorney it will cost far more than the $1000 so you really need to use the small claims court to file your suit.