Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

i pleaded guilty to 4th degree sexual assault in Maryland.

Customer Question

i pleaded guilty to 4th degree sexual assault in Maryland. I was given 3 years probation before judgement and no sex offender registration and can be expunged after 3 years. If I move to chicago, will I have to register as a sex offender? I don't in Maryland.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

If you successfully complete your probation then it will not be a conviction. Therefore, you should not be required to register.

I suggest, however, that you Petition for expungment as soon as you are eligible to have all your records sealed so they are not open to public view.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this mean that I won't have to register during the 3 year probation period as well?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

I was under the impression you had completed your probation. If you are on probation, then it may be required for registration, if it is parallel to any of the following Illinois crimes where registration is required

Indecent Solicitation of a child; Sexual Exploitation of a child; Soliciting for a Juvenile Prostitute; Keeping a place of Juvenile Prostitution; Patronizing a Juvenile Prostitute; Juvenile Pimping; Exploitation of a Child; Child Pornography; Criminal Sexual Assault; Aggravated Criminal Sexual Assault; Predatory Crimial Sexual Assault of a Child; Criminal Sexual Abuse, when a felony; Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse; Ritualized Abuse of a Child; Forcible Detention, if the victim is under 18 years of age; Indecent Solicitation of an Adult; Soliciting for a Prostitute, if the victim is under 18 years of age; Pandering, if the victim is under 18 years of age; Patronizing, if the victim is under 18 years of age; Pimping, if the victim is under 18 years of age; Kidnapping; Aggravated Kidnapping; Unlawful Restraint Aggravated Unlawful Restraint; First Degree Murder of a Child; Child Abduction; and Attempts to commit these offenses.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still a little confused. If I am on probation before judgement, it seems that there is no conviction yet.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

You have plead guilty. The court has delayed the acceptance of that guilty plea until you have completed the probation successfully. So yes, you are on probation before judgment, as it commonly referred to in Maryland.

So, Illinois may still require you to register, until that probation is complete if the 4th degree in Maryland is the same as any of the ones in the list I provided. And that was what your folo up question referred to as I understood it. In other words, there is no conviction, yet. But a record is available showing your PBJ on the sexual offense.

So if you are on supervised probation, your agent will need to notify Illinois that you are moving there via the Illinois Interstate Transfer to allow Illinois to pick up the supervision.