Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Someone contact Yahoo and was able to reset my password XXXXX

Someone contact Yahoo and was able to reset my password XXXXX down load all my personnel information. I have ip address and I am 99 percent sure who did it. I had an affair with her husband several years ago....one night stand thing I regret totally. What can I do to protect myself from her destroying my life with all this information
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
The first thing you need to do is you need to notify all of your credit card companies and all of the credit bureaus and your bank that your information has been stolen. This will prevent her from doing much with the information if she obtained that information from your computer. Second, if you know who did this, you must report it to the police since this is a felony and also a federal crime and they will investigate the computer hacking and pursue charges against her. Finally, once you prove it was this person who accessed your information illegally you can sue her for invasion of privacy and theft of data and seek damages from her and an restraining order against her to make her surrender or destroy any information she took. These are your three legal options.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was no credit card information. Mostly information regarding the affair, information fansties I sent to myself.....I used my email account as a journal...can she use this information against me it is my bosses wife....help me here
She can try to do so, yes, but it is still illegal hacking and a criminal offense so you can still pursue criminal charges against her. You can also still sue her for invasion of your privacy and for the hacking and seek money damages and an injunction against her to prevent her from releasing the information.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience