Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My ex had me arrested for after moving out I went back with

Customer Question

My ex had me arrested for after moving out I went back with keys he knew I still had to get the rest of my items. We were still in good terms so I saw no real issue. He said I stole items that did not belong to me, purses and had me arrested as they were valuable. I let officers into my house without a warrant because I could not believe I would have been arrested over taking what clearly belonged to me a woman and not him a man. Well after my arrest he dropped all charges, however during this I lost my car which was in both our names because he canceled our car insurance and I now have had an issue with going to Canada because of the arrest (which I am still confused about since all charges were dropped). I want to know if I have an legal clam to my bags since all charges were dropped, and if so why was I not alerted. Also the tickets my car incurred while parked all over the place because I could not drive it without insurance. This happened 3 years ago, have I waited too long? I was willing to let this go and move on with life but after going to Canada and almost being sent back because of this I want to know how to fix all this and if I have any standing now. Thank you for your time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
If your charges were dismissed and there is no current domestic violence restraining order on you, then you have a right to make claim to the property again and you would have to do this through the courts. You can sue him in court for the purses if the divorce property settlement has not been completed yet. If the property settlement has been completed, then you would file a suit against him for return of your property.

You had only 3 years from the date of the offense or when the charges were dismissed to seek to sue for the property, so it may be too long to pursue this. If the charges were dismissed, you can apply to the court to have the record sealed to prevent you from having an issue with Canada.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”