Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

In 1995 I got arrested on a Misdemeanor Theft Charge in Houston,

Customer Question

In 1995 I got arrested on a Misdemeanor Theft Charge in Houston, Texas. I served a year probation. In 2004 I became a teacher and applied for a job and teacher certification. I did not lie on my applications and I got my certification and a job. Things have changed a lot since 2004 and now our school is requesting we submit a volunteer form which involves a criminal background check. How can I remove this arrest from my record? Can I lose my job?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Please don't shoot the messenger but Texas doesn't allow for the expungement of a conviction except in very, very limited cases and this isn't one of them. In addition, Texas is an employment at will state which means that unless you have a written contract that specifically prevents this from occurring then you can be terminated if they choose to do so.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.