Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I just found out that I had 3 returned checks from 10 years

I just found out that I had 3 returned checks from 10 years ago. These where written in good faith at a grocery store while on vacation a few hundred miles from home with my family. My drivers license is about to expire and I can not renew it due to this...
I have done alot of online reading and is it possible to file a motion to dismiss.. as I NEVER received notice from that court and it was so long ago.
OR try to get the amount reduced, a payment plan and immediate release of the hold on my license renewal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

The fact that it was 10 years ago makes no difference because the charges were filed before the expiration of the statute of limitations.

I suggest you contact the clerk of the court and see how much is owed. Then you will need to contact the District Attorney and request they contact the store owner to see what they will accept as full payment or how you may proceed with a payment plan.

Once the DA has accepted an offer, they can file a Motion to Dismiss so your license can be renewed. Only the District Attorney can make those arrangements or decision as to whether to continue to hold onto the charges.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck