CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Hi my question deals with a nuisance exhusband of my girlfriend.

Hi my question deals with a nuisance exhusband of my girlfriend. This particular person has called my phone in a threatening manner once last year. Then he taunted me and my girlfriend another time at a hotel with the idea that he would show up to cause ruckus. Sat night we were celebrating her sisters bday, at a club he approached our group. He definitely had an aggressive nature. I would like to know my options legally. I know if we fight I may be jailed even sued. Is this an opportunity for a restraining order ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

A petitioner can obtain an order for protection against the respondent for stalking, menacing, harassment, aggravated harassment, assault, attempted assault, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. You would need to have evidence to support the actions of the ex husband and it would then be up to the court to decide if his actions amount to the need to impose one. It can be obtained through the family or criminal courts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So a close call isn t enough. An altercation needs to happen, then documented. Now with that I have reason to present my case to the court. Can I call the police and file a case even if he flees the scene ? Or does he need to remain on site to issue a statement.
If something happens, you can contact the police and ask that they come immediately. They will take a report so you have documentation of what occurred. Moreover, any witnesses can also give statements, to support your complaint. Thank you and good luck. If you have no other questions, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.