Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

One of my questions earlier was should we get a lawyer and

One of my questions earlier was should we get a lawyer and the answer was to get in touch with my sons public defender first. We have and sometimes he returns are calls but mostly he does not and he does not always attend the court hearings and proceedings. Is this in my sons best interest?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for your son's situation. Normally, an attorney is supposed to express zealous representation for his client. In practice, public defenders are sometimes overworked and underpaid, leaving some things to be desired. What your son would need to do is to complaint to the Court next court hearing if the attorney is not there about the matter - both the non-communication and the lackluster attendance record, and then ask for a new public defender. The Court has discretion here, and it would either grant it, or at least ask the public defender to be more apt in communicating and making the Court appearances. The combination of the Court's admonishment and it being in public should move the public defender to better their attendance and communication efforts.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.