JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

i went with my friend to a shooting range in florida yesterday,the

Customer Question

i went with my friend to a shooting range in florida yesterday,the guns were his.we had to sign a waiver,i read the waiver,and no where in that waiver did it say that a felon could not fire a gun.i gave a copy of my drivers lic to them,they let us shoot.then we left.after speaking with a friend they said i should not have been shooting at the range since i have a felony.is this true,and if so what should i do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

As a general matter, federal law prohibits a convicted felon from possessing a firearm or ammo. It is a crime for a felon to be in possession of a firearm or ammo.

It is not for the shooting range to run a criminal background check on you or to keep you from violating any criminal laws.

Just know, that from this point forward, as a convicted felon, you should never possess a firearm or ammo. It's a crime for you, personally.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does the shooting range send in the copys of driver lic to local law enforcment to do background checks to see if felons are shooting at there range? i ask this because i have not been in any trouble for over 20 yrs and if the range submits that info i would rather turn myself in then wait for a sheriff to knock on my door.

No, the range does not send in that information to law enforcement. The sheriff won't come knocking to your door.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for answering my question,are you a lawyer here in florida,or is this a computer im talking to.dont mean to inslut you.but i want to be very clear about / if there will be any trouble that can result from this,thank you...
You are not talking to an automated computer. While I am an attorney, I am not located in Florida.

Remember, I had earlier indicated that it was federal law that prohibits a felon from possessing a firearm or ammo. That federal law applies in all 50 states.