Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

My son received a speeding ticket in sept 2010 in Alleghaney

My son received a speeding ticket in sept 2010 in Alleghaney County VA while driving back to Kentucky. He forgot about the ticket and was arrested 4 days ago at his home in Louisville KY. He was told he is to be extradited to VA if they come and get him in 10 days for traffic fines and is being held on $10,000 bond. What can we do to get him released?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

You have a couple options as to handling the warrant and your son's subsequent arrest.

One option would be to post the bond. You might contact a bondsman in the county in which he was arrested to arrange bond. A typical fee to a bondsman is 10%, meaning the cost would be $1,000. Additionally, the bondsman would need collateral for the remaining $9,000.

Your other option would be to let Virginia pick him up and transport him back. Once they do, his situation should improve. At that point, it is quite likely that the judge would release him and resolve the issue with credit for time served in jail. At a minimum, it is extremely probable that the judge would reduce his bond.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor