Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a 44 year old man grooming my 16 year old daughter.

I have a 44 year old man grooming my 16 year old daughter. He has been giving her money and talking to her about her problems with her mom (me). I have seen suggestive texts from him but he won't quite come right out and say what it is he wants (in exchange for more money). I want him prosecuted although I am told he has not committed any crime. Is grooming a crime? What can I do aside from file a restraining order against the creep? He has been accused of something from a 10 year old girl but I do not know the details. He has also had a restraining order from several different women for stalking type activities which is what I feel he has been doing to my daughter.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am very sorry for your situation! When you say 'grooming,' you mention that they have been talking. Talking itself is not illegal. Has he been asking your daughter any sexual things? Or discussing his own? Asking for photos? Etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is very careful. He won't come out and say anything. His words are implied. For example, I saw a test from him to my daughter that said "If you r a player, then you are welcome here". He has given her money and now is trying to make her feel like she "owes" him. He also keeps asking her to go to his house or call him so they can talk.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Wow, indeed a hard situation. I am going to be honest here - there is nothing illegal about what he is doing. While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes people in a position where something is ethically wrong, but no legal relief exists for it.

Try getting a civil restraining order on her behalf since she is a minor:

http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=512&state_code=IN

While this is a stretch, simply attempting in doing so will show him that you are not kidding around. Likely, when it goes on the record, they back off.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there nothing that protects a minor from predators at all? He is clearly a predator. She and her friends went to pick up money from his house and he was naked in a bed and sitting up with only a sheet draped across his genitals. The friends even got creeped out and they all left.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Now, this you did not tell me. Was this before or after your complaint to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
before
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I feel (and while I may be wrong, I feel it reasonably) that if you add a complaint with this knew information, this time, the police may look into it. He may have crossed the line there. Especially, get names and numbers of the kids so that the police can get their impression.

If nothing happens, go over their head and contact your county's district attorney who actually decided whether or not to file charges.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.