Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I want to file criminal fraud charges against someone, however

I want to file criminal fraud charges against someone, however I'm located in Michigan and they are in Florida. Can I file in MI or do i need to travel to FL to do so?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

Where did the criminal act occur? In brief what is the nature of the fraud?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This person fraudently wired money from my account into her account. I reside in MI and she resides in FL. She was in FL at the time it happened.

If this involved wire fraud/bank fraud it would typically handled by the Federal system not the state system since banking laws are Federal. In that case, you could report the act to your local FBI office and they can work with the FBI office in Florida. If for some strange reason, based on all of the facts, the Feds don't take your case, and you have to report this to State officials, which I doubt, you would file a report where the physical act occurred.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The company I work for had bank fraud at one time, and when I contacted the local authorities I was told that I needed to make the complaint in the state in which the act was done (which was not MI either) Why wouldn't the FBI be involved in that case, but involved in my case?
I can't respond to something I don't have all the facts about. As I stated this is typically a Federal crime. However,depending on the facts it could also be covered under some state laws and if the FBI is not interested in pursuing it because it isn't enough money for them (which is their discretion) they will refer you to State authorities, as I mentioned. Just for your edification you can see the Federal bank fraud statute by going to: