RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Are Brass Knuckles Legal

Customer Question

Are brass knuckles legal in the state of Georgia?

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.

They are legal to have and carry, as long as you do not carry them concealed. Here is the Georgia statute:

(a) A person commits the offens e of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do thank you for your help but the answer you gave I already read about.

I can only answer the question asked, You specifically asked if they were legal. Nothing else.

I confirmed they were, and provided the statute. If you need additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry. If i wanted to conceal them would I need a permit to do that?

I appreciate the reply.
Unfortunately, the law does not allow you to carry knuckles (regardless of what they are made of) in a concealed manner. The only one who can carry concealed, and is licensed to do so, would be a firearm.