lwpat
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
15417118

can I renew my drivers license in Texas if I have warrants

can I renew my driver's license in Texas if I have warrants in California?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  agutin replied 3 years ago.

agutin :

What are the warrants for in California?

Customer:

misdemeanor dui and child endangerment

Customer:

i never had a california license

agutin :

Was your license suspended in Texas?

Customer:

no. it expired in April and I ran a report showing that I had some outstanding Tx tickets I had to pay before I could renew it. So I paid the last one off last week. Called the DPS office and the lady informed me that it shows my license is cleared.

agutin :

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that you will be able to renew your Texas driver's license with warrants in California.

Customer:

what will they do when I go there?

Customer:

when I ran a report on my license the only thing that had shown up was the tickets that I needed to pay. wouldn't those have shown up as well?

agutin :

I can't predict that for sure. Most likely they will not renew your license. You may even risk being arrested for the outstanding warrants in California.

agutin :

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button.

Customer:

I don't want to be disrespectful, however, I really would like to speak to another expert. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in this area. I am willing to pay for not only help but advice. Thanks.

Expert:  lwpat replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

If the Department of Public Safety has stated that your license is clear then you should not have any problem renewing your license. However, if you never cleared the DUI in California the California DMV should have reported it to the national database and you should not be able to obtain a license in any other state. Like any government program, it is not perfect. The court may not have reported to the DMV or the DMV may not have entered it in the national database. Warrants never expire so at some point in time they are going to show up.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/California-DUI.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I please ask you what it means when I pulled up my case in CA the DUI status said "DMV hold: N"......what does the N mean? And is there any way I can find out if it's been reported to that database? What about the other warrant? Will that show up since it's not a driving violation warrant? Thanks.
Expert:  lwpat replied 3 years ago.
The other warrant won't keep you from renewing your license but you can be arrested but that is unlikely to happen at the DPS. I am not sure what the N means but the hold means that you are not to be reissued a license.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I want to understand that even though I was never issued a California license they won't renew mine in Texas because of the DUI warrant? I do want to get all of this cleared up, I'm truly trying to do the right things and make it right. If the lady at the DPS office told me my license is clear, does that mean only in Texas?

Expert:  lwpat replied 3 years ago.
If the lady at the DPS office told me my license is clear, does that mean only in Texas?

If you license is clear in Texas it is probably also clear in all states except CA

but I want to understand that even though I was never issued a California license they won't renew mine in Texas because of the DUI warrant?

That is what is supposed to happen. All you can do is to go to the DPS and find out. Good luck.
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: Practicing criminal defense attorney