Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I have had some one hack multiple of my email accounts and

I have had some one hack multiple of my email accounts and had false emails sent to my Fiance and her family trying to slander my name by telling them about my brief but ugly criminal past, he now has even created a fake email address and sent slandering emails. I have proof from where my account was accessed from by a program that shows where your account was last logged in from and the address of the computer that was used. I would like to know what my options are, this has been on going for over a month and has become stressful, hurt and hindered my relationship with not only my fiance but her family as well. I want to know if I have the right to sue them?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Did you give your password XXXXX any of your email accounts that were used to send out emails on your behalf?

Do you suspect someone specific of doing this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know exactly who it is and no I have never given anyone else my passwords, it is an ex of mine and her new husband that got mad at she and I for talking briefly so he went out of his way to do all of this, they live in Indiana and I live in VA on my screen shot using the program it showed me that the last know area of log in was from Indiana te same day he called me freaking out, two hours later ALL of my accounts had the passwords changed and the false emails had been sent.
Did you report this to your email providers and to the police and the FBI?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I reported it to the local police but they said that since there were no threats they could not go across state lines, and no I never considered the FBI as a legitimate source. Should I contact them and inform them as well, I mean is this something they would typically handle? Do I have means to go after them legally?
FBI would actually have federal jurisdiction when it comes to someone hacking into another person's email over the internet / state lines.

I would suggest that you do report this incidents to the FBI at www.FBI.gov and they do have a division that is dedicated to investigations of computer related crimes.

Also if you can prove that the people that you suspect have sent out emails that contained slander about you to other people and these email have caused damage to your reputation and other damages, you might be able to file a civil lawsuit against this people for defamation and even obtain a restraining order against them.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor