Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

IM PETITIONING THE ARAPAHOE COUNTY COLORADO DISTRICT COURT

Customer Question

I'M PETITIONING THE ARAPAHOE COUNTY COLORADO DISTRICT COURT TO TERMINATE MY PROBATION EARLY, I HAVE COMPLETED ALL THE TERMS OF THE PROBATION, I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY LAWS THAT I CAN SITE TO CONVINCE THE COURT TO LET ME OFF PROBATION.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

Probation is a very overworked agency, and they are frequently happy to recommend a probationer for early release, and that is the key to the whole process. With probation in your corner, all things are possible in court. Without that, they pose a formidable block to what a defendant might want.

As a general rule, if you have finished at least half of your probation, all of your special conditions have been satisfied, and you have paid all of your fines, payments and court fees, if you go to your probation officer and ask him to recommend you for an early release, he may be willing to do so. If your PO is encouraging, get your lawyer to petition the court for your early release, and with probation's approval, it should be easily granted.

However if the PO says something like, "No. Wait a few more months and then ask me again," then you should take heed to what he or she is saying. While you can still have your lawyer make the petition, and while the judge does has the legal authority to overrule probation, in pont of fact he usually won't. Determinations for this are made on a case-by case basis, and the judge knows that probation works very closely with the defendant and knows the defendant best.